- Solve one moment
- Do just enough research to get to a prototype
- Prototypes are packaged questions
- Make it as real as possible, don't make me imagine
- Start small then build up
- Tell me what's not working
- Talk to people to understand where they're coming from, not to do what they say
- Function over aesthetics
- Thoughtful over smart
To Park or Not to Park?
Rethinking the parking sign
A guerrilla project to redesign the confusing parking sign in collaboration with drivers, city officials, and the colorblind community. Created kits, maps, templates, and now a parking sign generator. Piloted in Los Angeles, New Haven, Boston, and Brisbane. Studies showed a 60% increase in compliance.
Bringing neighbors back to neighborhoods
At Sidewalk Labs, I led design for an app that increased interactions among neighbors. Worked closely with engineers and city operations to scope, prototype, and test the tool with families in downtown Chicago. Read about it on the Sidewalk blog.